Running for Office

Steps in running for office:
1. Candidate must file a Campaign Treasurer Appointment.  This is required before you file an application for a place on the ballot, raise or spend any money for your campaign, or announce your candidacy publicly or privately.
  Note: A candidate may appoint himself or herself as his or her own campaign   treasurer.

This appointment is to be filed with the Elections Administrators' office: 1410 W Pearl St, Granbury, TX 76048

2. Pay the (a) filing fee or (b) submit your petition in lieu of filing fee to the political party of choice along with your application to be placed on the Primary Ballot.
a. If you choose to pay the filing fee, submit it and the application for place on the ballot to the local party chair.
b. If you choose to circulate a petition in lieu of filing fees, you will need to acquire the stated number of registered voter signatures (it is recommended to acquire additional signatures, due to some individuals that sign the petition not being registered to vote or maybe not located in correct voting precinct).  If running for a Constable, Justice of Peace or Commissioner precinct specific races, the signatures must be from registered voters in that voting precinct.  County wide races  may acquire voter signatures from any precinct in Hood County.

Constable, JP 1, and Commissioner 1 include voting precincts 1,3, 5/6, 7, and 12
Constable, JP 2, and Commissioner 2 include voting precincts 2, 11, and 16
Constable, JP 3, and Commissioner 3 include voting precincts 10, 13, and 14    Constable, JP 4, and Commissioner 4 include voting precincts 4, 8, 9, and 15

Hood County Political Parties:
Hood County Democratic Party
Hood County Republican Party

Once you have applied to be placed on the primary ballot, the candidate is responsible for filing their campaign financial reports with the Elections Administrators' Office.
  Click here for the 2018 due dates for campaign finance reports
If a candidate selected the modified reporting (plan to stay under the $500   threshold in either contributions or expenditures in the election) must still file the January 15 and July 15 report.

For the finance forms click on the link below:
Any questions about the forms or how to fill them out are to be addressed to the Texas Ethics Commission 512-463-5800 or TDD 1-800-735-2989
Texas Ethics Commission has a website with lots of helpful links: New Filers Getting Started FAQs